Over the last couple weeks we have been making great progress across all the sub-teams! The Build team has been working hard on finishing the final bot, and making changes on the practice bot from what we learned at the week 0 event we attended yesterday, (Thanks 2220 for hosting an awesome event!) The Code team has been working hard on PID, it’s currently mounted on the drive train and shooters. When they are not working on that, they have been focusing on autonomous routines and making sure that all subsystems on the robot are working properly and correctly. The CAD team has been using the finalized design of the robot to aid the builders in the construction of the final robot. We hope to have the final bot fully assembled tonight to give us a full day to test it before we put it in the bag on Tuesday.
Today we made great progress on the robot and its subsystems!
The practice bot drivebase had its first successful run today! After we tested it for sometime, we continued to assemble the improved shooter for more precise testing. The Code team made more progress into this years unit tests to help prevent errors from occurring. The CAD team made progress on the design of the finalized prototypes. We are looking forward to see what we can accomplish in this coming week! Stay tuned for more updates!
Today was a very busy day with lots of manufacturing of final parts for the competition robot. We made a spare intake arm and another shooter. The coders worked on writing more tests to prevent possible future code issues as we continue to improve our code in the weeks before competition. Stay tuned for our updates as we get closer to the Iowa regional!
Today we spent most of the time preparing the practice robot and the competition robot for tomorrow’s week 0 event at Centennial High School. We hope to find any possible issues that arise from extensive testing at the event. The marketing team spent time getting sponsor logos ready to go on the competition robot.
The CADers were using finite element analysis in Solidworks to test the 3D model of the robot out to make sure it can stand the tests of this years challenge. The code team have been writing more unit tests to help reduce the amount of errors in the code. With 4 days left in the build season, as each day goes by, each minute becomes more and more precious.
Today we made great progress on optimizing and finalizing many subsystems on the prototype robot. The remaining machined parts have arrived from our gracious sponsors which some of
them have been assembled with the rest of the competition robot parts.
The Electronics team have been hard at work finalizing their wire runs for the final robot. The Build team have been testing the prototype robot for possible improvements and have been building the competition robot. The coders have been working on autonomous routines and on new drivetrain gear shifters. We are five days out from bag day, so it has been nothing but hard work!
Today the prototype robot was driving around which was a great milestone in the build season. We were able to test all the defenses which went very well, there are some minor adjustments that have to be made. Testing of the subsystems mounted onto the prototype were also tested for consistency and other possible issues. The coders spent the day writing tests that point out errors in our code, and the CADers sent out the final parts order for the competition robot.
While all these other exciting things are going on, people have been hard at work machining parts in house for the competition robot. We hope to have all the parts for the final robot by next Wednesday.
After yesterdays successful meeting, we continued working on the prototype robot. We attached the wheels to the drive train after the hub caps arrived from our gracious machining sponsor, Harvey Vogel.
One of our coders finished setting up Jenkins. Jenkins is a CI (continuous integration) server, whenever someone on the code team pushes new code to GitHub, a web based source code management for programmers, Jenkins downloads the code and compiles it to see if there are any errors or issues with the new code.
Today was spent on working on code for the prototype robot so we can test out our different manipulators. Vision tracking was recently added to our code team, and we are excited to use it. Time was spent on putting together our newly acquired gearbox.
Great progress has been made on the “DREAM”. Its intake system is just about ready to be tested on our practice frame along with our catapult shooter. We are already in week four and the build season is half way over already.
We continued to prototype today and will decide tomorrow whether we will build a tall robot or a short robot. They both have pros and cons, and there is a lot of different opinions on it. Meanwhile, some members of the team are working on prototypes to see what kind of wheels work best for the different challenges.
There are still others on the team that are building the terrain! Already we have a Chival de Frise, Rock Wall, and Rough Terrain! Still more are being built. At this point, everyone is just deciding on what are the top priorities and have even deployed code to a drive base to test different drive trains on the multiple terrains.
With all the work going on in the shop, there is no shortage of tasks to do whether it is CADing, coding, or prototyping. We can’t wait to see how it all comes together!
We’re a little late on sharing this post for the final day of build, which was on Tuesday–everyone just had to go home and catch up on sleep for a couple days.
We did it! We bagged a robot. Another crazy six weeks have flown by. We would say we’re sad to see it end, but our Duluth regional is coming up next weekend, so we don’t have to wait for long before we get to see our robot again.
Look for some awesome media stuff coming up in the next few days: we should have a build season wrap up and a robot release video soon!