Today we made great progress on the robot and its subsystems!
The practice bot drivebase had its first successful run today! After we tested it for sometime, we continued to assemble the improved shooter for more precise testing. The Code team made more progress into this years unit tests to help prevent errors from occurring. The CAD team made progress on the design of the finalized prototypes. We are looking forward to see what we can accomplish in this coming week! Stay tuned for more updates!
Over the last week the team has been working on prototyping all of the various subsystems for our robot. Currently we have been working on (and making significant progress in): Fuel Intake, Fuel Cage, Gear Intake, Drive Train, Fuel Shooter, and Gear Deposit mechanisms. Thanks to the team being very active during the early days of the Build Season, we have made a lot of progress in the prototypes and CADing of the parts for the robot and have been keeping ourselves on schedule.
Today: The cage for carrying the fuel was being tested with the intake mounted as well as testing/mounting the gear intake along with pneumatic lifting for up-righting the gear to be placed on the peg in the airship.
The grind of building and testing has seen a refreshing break in the action with a new addition to our shop. In collaboration with our shop mates, the ERRORS, our team has purchased a new mill. A sleek upgrade from the old mill, the new addition to our arsenal of heavy duty machines will significantly improve on the speed and efficiency of our fabrication in this season and the seasons to come.
The break hasn’t lasted long, however, and we are now back to a full and busy schedule of designing robot subsystems. The team came together late this evening for a meeting to discuss our strategy of moving gears around. Specifically, we are wondering if it is best to use up valuable space with a design to grab gears from the ground, or if we should opt to pick up exclusively from the feeder station and risk dropping too many gears to gain a ranking point. The discussion concluded with an agreement to continue testing to find the best strategy.
Today at the shop was all about prototyping. Now that the team is on our feet regarding this years game, we have started to get a good idea about the features we want our robot to have. Prototypes built from wood and re-purposed motors are filling the workbenches as the fully functional subsystems being to take shape. Our fuel shooter is coming together splendidly, and the drive train design is wrapping up, as well as a super fast rope climber.
The team also met today to discuss the time box for our six week undertaking. We set hard deadlines on the numerous projects we must finish before the robot is bagged, including the completion of final designs, full robot CAD, and assembly of the practice and final robot in time for our week zero event near the conclusion of the build season.
It’s finally here! The 2017 FRC game, Steamworks, has finally been revealed, and it’s crazy! Instead of the standard style of keeping robots on the field and people off, FIRST has shaken things up by allowing two people from each alliance to work alongside the robots, racking up points and racing to the victory.
Our first day in the shop has gone swimmingly. Prototypes have been constructed for picking up gears and firing fuel into the boiler. As well, a drive train design has been selected and should be finished by the end of the first week. The team greatly anticipates the delivery of our new shop mill, purchased in conjunction with our companions, the ERRORS. Expect an exciting season, and stay tuned for our first video update coming this weekend.